Saturday, June 13, 2009

I’m done with TV.


News Item from the New York Times:
If you wake up tomorrow morning and all your TV channels are gone, I probably know why. Saturday, June 13, is the first day that analog broadcast television is officially history, except for low-power stations. (Some stations have already converted, a few more are doing it Friday.) From now on, all over-the-air TV broadcasts — the channels you watch using an antenna — are sent out digitally. If this is all news to you, and you haven’t any idea what to do next, read on: Why Can’t I See Anything? If you can’t see any TV channels, the most likely reason is that you have been watching TV using an analog set coupled to an antenna. With the nationwide switch to digital broadcasting, you now have several options: 1) buy a digital converter box; 2) buy a digital-ready TV; 3) subscribe to cable or satellite TV and keep using your old set; 4) stop watching television.


I’m done with TV. This Digital High Definition business is the last straw for me. It is just another one of those things that clutter my already cluttered life. I’m tired of passwords, twitter, MySpace, Facebook, glitter and commercials that bring scantily clad women and men into my house.
So, it’s over. For entertainment, I’m going to use my Jadoo to connect me to the world. Jadoo is a cool little device that gives me selected internet programs like Muslim Television Ahmadiyya (MTA), Al-Jazeera (I’m listening to David Frost analyze and question some big shot world leader right now), BBC and some other stations that don’t mean a thing to me. My life has to become simple, so Digital TV in America doesn’t enhance my life.


Besides, we now have Hulu to provide television programs, contemporary and old school stuff like “Sanford and Son.” The best TV in America came at a time when folks didn’t jump in bed with women and men and children. In addition, I’m going to have fun exploring blog sites and good YouTube stuff.
These days I’m very happy serving Allah through my responsibilities and duties as a member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, USA.


In addition, my job-related duty as a Chaplain for Kenosha County Jail in Wisconsin doesn’t leave me much external frivolous time to be mesmerized by TV programs.
This year, like any addict kicking the habit, I’m moving away from the “vast wasteland,” an apt description of TV land, gleaned from a famous speech by former Federal Communications Commission Chairman Newton N. Minow to national broadcasters, in 1961.


Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not venting in a self-righteous manner to pass judgment on the many fans of television. What would many families do without television? The TV is a primary point of focus in the contemporary family. Today’s dysfunctional family hovers around television as it influences our lives .



The longest running program on television today is a cartoon sitcom – The Simpsons. It is best described as the satiric adventures of a working class family in the misfit city of Springfield. Without a doubt, the Simpsons have been a favorite of mine on the “boob tube.” It is the religious commentary that is interesting, edgy and provocative.


Here’s a Wikipedia description: “Much of the humor satirizes aspects of Christianity. However, the series is not necessarily anti-religious, as some episodes (such as Bart Sells His Soul and Alone Again, Natura-Diddily) are actually quite spiritual (or at least philosophical) in nature and portray the importance of some spirituality in life. Most episodes call for a more sensible, tolerant and less fanatical, religious devotion. For example, the episode The Monkey Suit depicts Ned Flanders' campaign against evolution. This campaign is opposed by Lisa Simpson, who eventually explains that she respects his belief in creationism.”
We will continue to watch the Simpsons on Hulu or we can rent Simpson seasonal DVDs as a subscriber to Netflix. With a little creativity, I won’t miss an episode. So, my friends…I’m done. There are just too many better ways to use my time during the day.

No comments: