Sunday, October 24, 2004

The funny thing about my nightmares


Nightmares
Love For All, Hatred For None

Dreaming is an act of pure imagination, attesting in all men a creative power, which if it were available in waking, would make every man a Dante or a Shakespeare. -- Hedge

Since childhood my imagination has been out of control and drives me to have some of the most vivid and colorful nightmares. It happens when I sleep. It happens when I dream at a time when I’m in touch with my soul.

The dreams are full of color – reds, orange…an incredible range of colors that are vibrant but the colors also give way to darkness with shadows and creepy landscapes with things that go bump in the night..they are my extraordinary nightmares.

As a child they were vexing and caused me to hate the night. The nightmare experience would leave me exhausted before taking off for school. What was amazing is that I could remember and replay the nightmares in my mind. It was similar to watching black and white movie reruns. They were short, powerful and a little frightening that would intimidate me by nightfall.

As an adult, the dreams and nightmares continue, but I’m not afraid. I simply have a better understanding of myself and my strange world of dreams and nightmares. I don’t have a meltdown after some of these bizarre nightmares and there isn’t a need for therapy at my age. I still have my moments but I don’t fear the night.

I now understand that as a creative person my imagination continues to flow, even when I’m asleep. Instead of acting out of fear, my dreams and nightmares have been very revealing and provide the impetus for creativity that knows no bounds.

“Use your imagination,” I can hear it in my mind. “Use your imagination to open doors and create...for your imagination is a gift from God.”

Hasan




No comments: